What a wonderful year it was!
As we delve into the new year, we want to reflect upon the highlights that helped shape our extraordinary year.
- Attorney Mike Brennan recently celebrated an appellate victory on behalf of his client, Corizon. Mike was able to secure a grant by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit on a petition for rehearing. The federal appeals court had ruled against our client on a prisoner inmate’s claim of deliberate indifference to his medical condition, but our petition for rehearing persuaded the Court to hear the case again. The case is currently being briefed and should be orally argued sometime this spring.
- Another victory secured by Mike Brennan, as well as attorney Dan Kennedy, involved our client, Next Partners, Inc. v. Roland G. Nehring, et al. Our client prevailed after a three-day arbitration hearing. At issue in the case were a series of claims by the managing member of an LLC that he should have been paid more after a successful real estate transaction. The arbitrator denied the member’s claims and ruled for our clients, who also recouped their attorneys’ fees and costs.
- Attorneys Mike Brennan and Dan Kennedy successfully obtained summary judgment for a client in a construction case.
- Attorneys Ric Gass, Brian Cahill and Dan Kennedy prevailed in a legal malpractice arbitration.
- A defense jury verdict was obtained by attorneys Joe Fasi and Linda Meagher in Monroe County, Sparta, Wisconsin, in a chiropractic malpractice case. The plaintiff, who had just had a baby, claimed that chiropractic adjustments had caused permanent injury. The defense team was able to establish that during the process of giving birth, the plaintiff set into motion a cascade of events that aggravated a previously undiagnosed hereditary disc disease.
- In May of 2017, Joe Fasi and Linda Meagher obtained another defense jury verdict in a podiatry malpractice case in Milwaukee County. Critical to the victory was GWM’s cross examination of plaintiff’s expert, the “grandfather” of podiatry, who exclaimed, “you’re killing me!” during cross examination.
- Yet another defense jury verdict was obtained by Joe Fasi and Linda Meagher in September of 2017 in a chiropractic malpractice case in Waukesha County. The 30-year-old married male plaintiff had a stroke two days after seeing the chiropractor. The defense team established that the stroke was caused by the condition for which he had sought treatment.
- The forthcoming American Bar Association book, An Introduction to Tort-Based Healthcare Litigation, features a chapter on pharmaceutical litigation co-written by attorneys Tamar Kelber and Dan Kennedy. The chapter examines pharmaceutical product liability litigation.
- Mike Brennan authored an article in the Wisconsin Lawyer which offers detailed insight into the top 10 most significant Wisconsin federal court decisions of 2017. Read the full article here.
We look forward to another successful year.