Daniel Kennedy represents individuals and businesses in a wide variety of civil litigation matters, including products liability, professional negligence, insurance coverage disputes, personal injury, securities litigation, and general commercial litigation. Mr. Kennedy is licensed to practice in Wisconsin and Illinois and has experience in civil trial and appellate work in federal and state courts.
Mr. Kennedy also regularly serves as local counsel in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin. In addition, Mr. Kennedy maintains an active pro bono practice and has represented clients pro bono in criminal post-conviction, civil rights, immigration and ERISA matters. Mr. Kennedy was listed as a “Rising Star” in Wisconsin Super Lawyers magazine from 2011-2014. In its 2018 edition, Benchmark Litigation named Mr. Kennedy a “future litigation star.”
Before joining Gass Weber Mullins, Mr. Kennedy served as a law clerk to the Honorable Barbara B. Crabb of the United States District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin and later practiced in the Chicago office of Jenner & Block, LLP.
Mr. Kennedy obtained his undergraduate degree from the University of Illinois and his law degree summa cum laude from the University of Illinois College of Law. While in law school, Mr. Kennedy served on the editorial board of the University of Illinois Law Review and was a member of the Order of the Coif.
Mr. Kennedy is admitted to practice in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin, the United States District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit. He is also a member of the American Bar Association, the Milwaukee Bar Association and the Eastern District of Wisconsin Bar Association.
Dan currently serves as the President of the Board of Directors of Milestones Programs for Children, a non-profit organization dedicated to providing the highest quality care and educational opportunities for children.
Mr. Kennedy’s trial experience includes:
- representing a manufacturer in a one-week product liability trial in a Wisconsin federal court;
- working with another attorney at Gass Weber Mullins to conduct an evidentiary hearing which resulted in the dismissal of all claims against a foreign manufacturer in a multi-million dollar construction case;
- working with two attorneys at Gass Weber Mullins to prepare for and conduct an evidentiary hearing which resulted in the granting of a preliminary injunction in favor of a manufacturer in a false advertising case; and
- representing an individual in a three-day product liability trial in a Wisconsin state court.
Mr. Kennedy’s appellate experience includes authoring or contributing to appellate briefs in cases before the Wisconsin Court of Appeals, the Wisconsin Supreme Court and the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, including:
- obtaining dismissals of negligence and other tort claims against a corporate client and then successfully defending those dismissals on appeal.
- co-authoring an amicus brief in an insurance coverage dispute involving the scope of a pollution exclusion clause;
- successfully defending on appeal the dismissal of tort claims for lack of subject matter jurisdiction in federal court.